Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Pissed.

 In London, they really enjoy using the word "pissed." This is great, because I enjoy it as well.

This morning, I woke up feeling really sick. Wonderful, right? Just what I need, especially on the day of my adviser meeting. I took some medicine, and decided maybe I just need to eat. Luckily, I bought groceries yesterday. A small amount, but enough to get by for now. I made an English muffin (which I guess is just a muffin here? But then what do they call muffins?!) and put peanut butter on it. This is a staple breakfast at home. Well, muffins here are much more doughy and peanut butter here is much less sweet. It was painful to get down. I had to wash it down with a huge glass of skim milk, which was very hard to find here, and I threw the rest of the muffin out. So much for breakfast. At least I'll drop a pants size on this trip.

After yesterday's THRILLING orientation at the University of Westminster (there's that dry, satirical British humor), I was really hoping my meeting with my adviser today to pick out my classes would make me happier. They had already previously registered us for 4 classes, but they had made the mistake of giving me two classes I want, but then the backups to those two classes additionally. I hadn't been registered for my fashion or business class. Seeing as I paid all this money and specifically chose London with the intentions of studying fashion business, I feel like those classes may be important to my experience, right? The meeting was to work on the schedules, rearrange them as needed and swap classes.

As per usual in my life, nothing goes right. The fashion class I want is only offered Monday, but I had Shakespeare scheduled for Monday. Alright, so just move Shakespeare to the other class Thursday. Well, the fashion class is full, you can't get in. Okay, what about this fashion class instead? Full. There are no other fashion classes. Well, that's a problem isn't it? Yeah, it is, sir, because I paid good money to come here to study fashion and I am going to get into that fashion class whether you like it or not. Well, you can maybe e-mail the professor and try to meet with her to get in. You better believe I'll do that. So, we still need to leave Monday open just in case you can get into fashion... let's move Shakespeare to Friday morning. Alright, whatever. Anything else? Yeah, I need my business class, I wanted to take Consumer Behaviour (ha, British spelling). Full. What about this? Full. This? Full. Okay, give me a minute... what about International Marketing? It's a level 6, can you handle that? Bitch, please, have you met me?! Fine, but promise if it's too much you'll switch out. Sir, it will not be too much, I got a 102 in my marketing class and this is what I want to do for a living. Okay, anything else? Is it possible to switch my Art and Society class to Wednesday? No. Oooookay, then I guess nothing else. So, you're taking Literature and Psychoanalysis, which is level 6, and International Marketing which is level 6... you really shouldn't take 2 level 6 classes. I know sir, I'm dropping Literature and Psychoanalysis as soon as I get into the fashion class instead. Okay, have a good day.

What a nightmare. If I don't get into that fashion class, I'm throwing punches.

Only good thing today? Delicious Thai food lunch.

2 comments:

  1. What a mess! Soz girl. It'll work itself out, you know it. At least you've now learned that Thai food can turn any bad day around. :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and in my experience, they also use "pissed" a lot to mean wasted. So if you're pissed, just get pissed :)

    ReplyDelete