Saturday, April 30, 2011

Chapter.

A few things in my life have shifted around recently.

If you follow my blog properly, you would know that I wanted to do the Tom's Shoes internship but decided to keep up with the fashion club next year instead of graduating a semester early to do the internship in the Spring. However, I recently just lost the fashion club election. Now, bear in mind that this is my blog and I will report on anything I feel or think with little to no consideration for the reactions of others. The fact that I lost this election is complete and utter bullshit, for lack of a better term. The amount of work I did for the club last semester and every year prior since the clubs beginning is insurmountable. I was away this semester, and I blame my loss on the old, "Out of sight, out of mind" phrase. I lost to an opponent that I personally deem far less deserving of the presidency.

But that isn't the point. I don't like to dwell on things, much less complain about them, so I tend to get over things fairly quickly. I was upset that night, went to sleep very angry, and was even still a little upset the next day... but that was it. There is no point in getting emotional over something that I cannot change.

I am a strong believer that everything happens for a reason. So many occurrences in my life have proved that over and over again. I had a really tough time a few weeks ago thinking about my future and having to choose between early graduation with the Tom's internship, or remaining loyal to the fashion club and taking my term as president. I chose the fashion club. Apparently, fate thought I made the wrong choice on my own, so they corrected it for me. The fact that I seemingly had the election in the bag until just a few days before the elections when the other nomination was submitted and then I lost just says to me, "Hey. This wasn't meant for you. You're meant for something far greater." And I'm okay with that.

Everything is okay. I'm studying in London, I have an internship in Milan for the summer, plus I was hired to write for collegefashionista.com this summer from Milan as another internship (yay!), I now have just one more semester at Montclair, and then I'm off to do better things. My life is lined up pretty well. Hopefully I am going to do the Tom's internship in the spring... but I know that if I don't, that's also for a reason.

I've also been looking at coming home for a little bit before Milan. My time in London has been bittersweet, but mostly bitter. I have tried my best to make the most of it all, and I believe I've done pretty well. However, I cannot try to fight the fact that I don't like London anymore. My mind isn't ready for Milan right now. I really am so excited to do my internship in Milan, but I want to go into it with a fresh mind. I believe this can only be achieved by giving myself a rest-- giving myself time in a place where I am truly happy. I'm done in London: I have my last paper due in a couple days, and that's it. The only thing keeping me here is doing more things in London, but I've done most of everything I want to do before I leave. With enough dedication to get out of here, I can easily finish my list off in the next ten days, go to the Canary Islands from the 10th-15th, and head back to New Jersey from the 16th-29th before going to Milan. I always held the belief that going home would be like quitting... and in a way, it is. I don't quit... but I'd rather quit a miserable experience to have a really positive new experience after than go into a new experience with the old experience's sour attitude. I'm looking into flights, and I will update when something is decided.

There are so many opportunities for new chapters in peoples lives. You just have to recognize when they start and be ready to finish the old one.

No comments:

Post a Comment