Thursday, March 31, 2011

Revelation.

Today, I witnessed something incredible and unbelievable to a typical Londoner.

I saw somebody openly display emotion.

Yes, all you stoic, cold, stone-faced, gray Londoners, with your apathetic sighs and rolls of your eyes. I saw somebody... not even just somebody, one of your kind, show emotion in public.

I was walking in the Bank tube station toward the Northern line going home from class. The typical, monotonous loudspeaker voice comes on:

"Mind the gap. Mind... the gap. Mind... the gap. Mind... the gap. Mind..."

And he broke. "He" is a middle-aged bald man, in a suit and carrying a brief case, probably heading back to work from his lunch break (as it was about that time). He was walking a little in front of me, and I hadn't even noticed him until it happened.

"Oh my God, just SHUT THE F**K UP ALREADY!"

I was stunned. I felt so many things in that moment, so many thoughts ran through my head. I honestly truly believed that right then and there, everybody would join him. There would be a sudden outbreak of Londoners finally letting down their guard, screaming;

"Yeah, you're right!"
"That DOES get annoying!"
"I'm angry too!"
"I hate the tube!"
"I hate my job!"
"This city is too gray, and I'm tired of it!"
"I'm tired of being treated like an animal every time I smile in public!"
"I'm tired of feeling forced to remain silent on my commute!"
"I'm tired of this city, and my job, and this tube, and all of you!"

...but it didn't happen. Nothing happened. Nobody even looked up, nobody took their eyes off their newspaper, nobody slowed down on the steps or looked over to see who said it or even made a face to themselves. There was nothing. Finally, a chance. Somebody else broke, now's your time! Follow him!

But nobody did... and London remained the same. And all of them remained the same. And the middle-aged, bald, suit-wearing and briefcase-carrying returning to work from his lunch break man, well, he remained the same too. As soon as he broke, he immediately remembered his setting and snapped the pieces back together. Everything remained unchanged. Everything.

Except me. Because now I know the truth. London is not emotionless... it's trained to appear that way. People do feel. They get angry, and I'm sure they also get sad, and... dare I say it? I'm sure they also get happy. Yes, happy. Do you know what the word means, Londoners? I'm sure you do, but you'll never admit it. But it's okay, you don't have to, because I already know now. So next time I'm sitting on the tube alone, smiling to myself because it's a beautiful day, don't stare at me like my head is melting off; I know you feel it too. Next time I'm on the tube laughing and having a good conversation with a friend, don't scoff at us like our happiness offends you; I know you feel it too.

You will never deceive me again, London. I know you.

And you know what? I'm telling everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment